“It’s not the first time”: Christian Eriksen gives update on Spurs contract situation

By | 9th January 2019

newsnow_abanimated

Christian Eriksen has said there is a “nice dialogue” between himself and Tottenham over a new contract amid rumours linking the playmaker with Real Madrid.

Earlier this week, reports claimed Madrid have made initial steps to lure Eriksen to the Bernabeu next summer, when he will have just a year left on his current Spurs deal.

After Tuesday night’s 1-0 victory over Chelsea in the EFL Cup, Eriksen acknowledged previous occasions he has been linked with an exit.

“It is not the first time that there have been rumours, and when the newspapers write something, it is not something we are masters of, and if there is nothing concrete, then I just comment on rumours,” he said according to Danish outlet BT.

Various reports have suggested Tottenham are confident Eriksen will sign a new long-term contract, following in the footsteps of Harry Kane, Son Heung-min and Dele Alli.

But the Dane was unable to give concrete assurances about his future after Tuesday’s win.

He added: “I think people know what I want, and I know what they (Spurs) would like, and there is a nice dialogue so there is nothing there.”

Eriksen has been one of Spurs’ best performers under Mauricio Pochettino, although he struggled against Chelsea on Tuesday – as did most of the attacking players.

That said, Harry Kane scored the winning goal from the penalty spot, making more history in the process.

This post written by Steve Jennings originally appeared on TottenhamBlog.com. Read the full post here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *