Pochettino provides update on midfielder’s future amid Spurs transfer rumours

By | 23rd August 2019

newsnow_abanimated

Mauricio Pochettino has said he doesn’t know if Victor Wanyama will still be a Tottenham player when the European transfer window closes at the end of the month.

Wanyama has been heavily linked with a move to Belgian side Club Brugge in recent days. Earlier this week we relayed reports suggesting Brugge are in talks to sign Wanyama for about £11m, which would break their transfer record and ensure Spurs make back the money they spent on the midfielder three years ago.

However, there has been no significant update on Wanyama’s proposed transfer in the last 24 hours, and Pochettino has said all of the talk is merely “rumours” for now.

“I don’t know [if Wanyama will leave],” Pochettino said in his Premier League press conference on Friday (via the London Evening Standard).

“I cannot say something that might or might not happen. Today it is all rumours.

“Victor is a very important player and for different circumstances went backwards. That is the evolution of football and things that happen naturally in all the clubs.”

Wanyama joined Tottenham from Southampton in the summer of 2016 and enjoyed a stellar debut campaign at the club. But since then, knee injuries and dips in form have kept him out of the side – Pochettino turned to youngster Olivier Skipp before Wanyama as an option from the bench against Manchester City last weekend.

It will be interesting to see whether the Kenyan is among the substitutes when Spurs face Newcastle United on Sunday.

The Premier League Panini Tabloid is a special commemorative newspaper sticker collection celebrating the exciting new partnership between the greatest league in the world and the legendary name in football publishing, Panini. Get yours by clicking here.

This post written by Steve Jennings originally appeared on TottenhamBlog.com. Read the full post here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *