NEWCASTLE are close to announcing the loan signing of ex-Tottenham midfielder Nabil Bentaleb from Schalke.
The Algerian international is on Tyneside having a medical and will join the Toon Army until the end of the season later this afternoon.
The 25-year-old left Spurs for the German club in 2017 but has been relegated to the reserves by former Huddersfield head coach David Wagner.
In December, Bentaleb said: “The situation with the club is a bit complicated at the moment.
“That’s no secret. To be concrete, they don’t want me to train with the first-team squad or to be associated with the squad in any way.”
Magpies boss Steve Bruce is also close to finalising a loan deal for right winger Valentino Lazaro from Inter Milan.
The Austrian’s agent was shown around St. James’ Park before Newcastle’s dramatic 1-0 win over Chelsea on Saturday. And Bruce hopes the move will be completed in the next two days.
He said: “His agent was at St James’ Park at the weekend and we hope we can develop it. Unfortunately, when it gets out like it does, it adds to the competition so we’ll see what the next 24 or 48 hours bring.”
Bruce also admitted he will be forced to sign another left-back after both Jetro Willems and Paul Dummett were ruled out for the season.
On-loan Dutch international Willems ruptured his ACL against Chelsea and may have played his last game for the Magpies.
Bruce is a big fan of Willems and was hopeful of signing him on a permanent deal but he has now returned to parent club Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany.
And the win against Frank Lampard’s side as further soured with news that Dummett will also not play again this season after hobbling off against Wolves earlier this month with a tendon injury.
Bruce added: “In that respect, it’s been a bad weekend. We’ve been unfortunate.
LADBROKES 1-2-FREE Simply predict Hull vs Chelsea, Man City vs Fulham and Shrewsbury vs Liverpool scores this coming weekend and win £100
MOST READ IN FOOTBALL
“Maybe yes, we have to do something now. Matt Ritchie played there on Saturday, but he’s just back after four months out.
“We’ll have a look in that particular area. It’s unfortunate because Jetro was settling in well and adapting to life in the Premier League.
“Because of what’s just happened, we’re short in that area, we might have to look and see if we can do anything in the short term. We’ll see who’s out there.”
This post written by Oscar Paul originally appeared on Football news - transfers, fixtures, scores, pictures | The Sun. Read the full post here.